2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, small dice
6 cloves garlic, peeled
2 bay leaves
¼ teaspoon thyme, chopped
3 medium boiled potatoes, peeled and quartered **
4 large carrots, 2 inch pieces
½ pound kale, sliced
2 large ribs celery, 2 inch pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
** Sub 1 can/box chickpeas for potatoes if you've avoiding starches
2 tablespoons parsley, small dice.
1. In large dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
2. Sauté onion, garlic, bay leaves and thyme until onion begins to brown, about 12 minutes.
3. Add remaining vegetables and tomato paste, season with 1 ½ teaspoons salt, pepper and nutmeg; sauté 5 minutes.
4. Raise heat to high and add wine to deglaze pan; simmer until liquid reduces by half.
5. Reduce heat to medium; Stir in 3 cups vegetable broth; let reduce by half.
6. Reduce heat to low; simmer covered until vegetables are tender, 20- 25 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste
Recipe adapted from Natural Epicurian.